[Harp-L] Crate V5

Crate has just released a new small tube amp, the V5.  This is a dirt-simple 5 watt tube amp with a 12AX7A preamp tube, an EL84 power amp tube, a volume and tone control, and a 10" speaker. It has a speaker output on a 1/4" jack, so it can be used with an external direct box (Behringer sells one for $35) as a line-out to a PA or larger amp.

It's a pretty standard configuration for a hot tube amp, of course, and plenty of harp players own something like this.  It seems like every amp maker is now offering a 5 watt tube amp with an 8" speaker for under $200.  I own a modified Crate VC508, which I happily used in stock form for 10 years.  Others on this list own the new Fender Champ reissue, the Epiphone Galaxy, or something similar, and just about everybody seems pretty happy with what they've got.  Why not?  it's hard for any manufacturer to screw that configuration up.

What's remarkable about this unit is that Sam Ash music is selling it online new for $129.  That's a pretty amazing price for an all-tube guitar amp--it's what I paid for my VC508 as a factory second 13 years ago. The two reviews on harmonycentral.com look pretty good too.

If you're looking for a small tube amp for practice or gigging, you might want to take a look at this one.  Google "crate v5" and follow the links to Crate's website for more info, including the link to Sam Ash (not one of my favorite dealers, but reputable).

Regards, Richard Hunter