Re: [Harp-L] Cracked Chromatic Comb

On Aug 11, 2008, at 1:18 AM, jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Should a mere mortal attempt to fix a cracked chromatic comb. I have a Super Chrominica that has the wall between an upper and lower chamber cracked. What is the best method? Gorilla Glue has been suggested. What have other people tried? I would rather put time in it than money so I don't really want to replace the comb.

Colby

The following is an excerpt from page 23 of my book 'Harmonica repairs for Strunzes'

1.. There is no reason to replace a cracked wood comb that is otherwise stable. By stable, we mean straight. level, plumb, not bowed, not twisted, or otherwise distorted.

You can use a plethora of household items and it is not necessary to run to the store. Some of the items are:
a... Model airplane glue (wood & fabic)
b... Model cement for plastics (styene)
c... Duco household cement (for china leather etc)
d... Thickened fingernail polish/varnish
e... Caulking (mix with an equal amount of water)
f... Elmer's white glue
g... Furniture glue

While I don't recommend super glue, that's what 'I' use. I mix an equal amount of super glue to an equal amount of TALCUM. UNthickened super glue will run right through a hairline crack and virtually destroy anything that is on the other side.

I remove only ONE reed plate and work the putty into the crack. Sometimes I use a toothpick, sometimes a sliver of razor blade.

If you want/need to match the color of the comb, mix in small 'dustings' of Hershey's dry unsweetened COCOA powder until you reach the color you desire (Circassian walnut). Make a spatula about the size and shape of a guitar pick from the flexible lid from a coffee can or other food item. Work your putty into the crack(s). After allowing a 'gassing-off' period (say 2 1/2 hours) you're good to go.

There's more, but this will get you where you want.

smokey-joe and the Cafe s