Re: [Harp-L] 10 blow reed problem

I do not think it needs adjusting.  Which harp are you using?  The G
harp is the lowest harp you can buy before specially made harps.
Therefore the G's ten blow is the lowest ten blow.  In order to make a
low pitch sound, the reed must vibrate slowly.  In order to vibrate
slowly, they use a heavy, or big, reed.  The bigger the reed, the
easier it is to maninulate (until it gets too big, then the problem
starts going the other way, which is why it is difficult to control
the low end of a G harp)  Basically I am saying start on a G harp
because it is easiest.

My guess is it is not the harp, it is that you are just learning the technique.

Here are my high note blow bend clues:

Put the tip of the tongue in one of two places:
1. On the back bottom teeth close to the gumline.
2. On the harp, just underneath the hole you want to play.  This is my
technique for the hole # 10.  It also strengthens my tone on 8 and 9
blow and high notes in general, but I ALWAYS use it on 10.

It is possible to tongue block blow bend.  I have worked on it for
months and still do not feel like it is ready for prime time, i.e. it
does not sound professional.

Arc the tongue up so the front top of the tongue is either pushing
against the back bottom teeth or the bottom half of the hole.  Push
forward while bending.

Do not create a big pucker.  Do the canary kiss.

Bite with your lips.

Aim the air towards the floor of your mouth while bending, not towards
the harp hole.

Puff your cheeks out while blowing.  Stiffen your cheeks without
puffing out while bending.

Know the name of the note you want to play and work with a keyboard
and a tuner to improve.  Remember there are 2 bends on 10 blow.

Be able to start high then bend.  Be able to bend then go high.  Be
able to do both while saying TA to begin the note.  Keep your tongue
as is and use the top middle of your tongue to say TA.

Move left to right from a natural to a natural, a natural to a bend, a
bend to a natural and a bend to a bend.

When you can do all this on a G harp, move to an Ab harp, then an A, etc.
Good luck,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com