Re: [Harp-L] HELP!!!

I say get them playing.  Do you have a guitarist?  Explain to them you
can never make a mistake in music.  Have him play while they jam.  If
it is a small enough group (8 or less) give them solos.
Then you can explain about keys being families of notes and the tonic
being the head of the family.  Tell them when they meet a guitarist,
they can say, "let's play in the key of C"
Then have them jam again.
Then say, let's get the guitarist to play in another family, C#, while
we stay in our family, C.  Play.  Then say, "Did it sound like the two
families were not getting along?"
Then play in C again.
You can talk about emotion thru music.  Get them to name some
emotions.  After each time they say "sad!" "angry"  you play sad or
angry, etc.  Then say "Okay, everybody play sad" and then jam with the
guitar.
I also think the train is great.  What I experience is some kids have
trouble saying Ta Ta thru the harmonica.  As long as you do not make
it important that they play it just right, trains are great.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com