From: "wlb@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <wlb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:42:42 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Golden Years (forwarded for Tom Stryker)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Stryker [mailto:tstryker1@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:59 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Golden Years

Thanks to all who are voicing their thoughts about SPAH and especially
Iceman who's comments go to the heart for soul searching.  If any of you
know me reasonably well, you know I encourage and welcome divergent opinions
good or bad.

Iceman's comments were given to me personally by Iceman when I accepted the
president's position a number of years back.  Although his comments have not
changed since then, it is a reminder to keep moving forward.  Through
lengthy email and phone conversations, all of Iceman's displeasures and
thoughts were discussed.  It ended with his email to me saying that he was
encouraged by SPAH's direction and was rejoining.

Diatonic vs Chromatic?  As many of you know, I will not tolerate the
berating of fellow harmonica players be it diatonic, chord, bass, tremolo,
chromatic or any other harmonica.  We are harmonica players and that is what
is important.  This will amply noted at the St. Louis Convention.

A word about committees:  SPAH has the following committees: Harmonicas &
Health, Young @ Harp and a member "Advisory Board" where we seek you input.

The conventions as they are now, cannot be run properly by two people
working part time.  We have distributed the tasks as follows: Paul Davies,
Tom Stryker, Winslow Yxera - Entertainment. Hotel, Seminars, Host Club
coordination, etc. - Elizabeth Atkison, L.J. Atkison, Paul Davies.
Registration, program book, membership - Roger and Nancy Bale.  There is
much more and each of the above are great contributors of their time and
talents.  Surely it would be nice to have an Executive Director for SPAH,
but I don't think we can afford it.  Meanwhile, we continue to seek
volunteers to continue our work.

Internally, SPAH has modernized in many ways over the last 2 years and I
talked about these modernizations at the last annual meeting in Milwaukee.
Modernization is still moving forward as it should in the future.  Join us
at the annual meeting this year in St. Louis to hear more.

Personally, I have been a SPAH member since 1980 and am a performing
harmonica player along with having many years of business ownership,
management and corporate experience.  It is because of this, my vision is
your vision.  SPAH belongs to all of us.  It is ours to improve and sustain.
My job is to effect the will of the members.  All of our jobs is to enjoy
and participate.  With this in mind, we are preparing for elections next
year, so step up to the table, we need interested, talented, business savvy
people to carry SPAH forward.

"Golden Days?"  Never thought of it that way nor do I want to posture SPAH
Conventions that way.  Enjoying each day of life is what is Golden.  Yes, I
have seen better and worse conventions in my 28 years of membership but
nothing that I would term as "Golden."  That term makes me feel like a dying
person who languishes in the past...  I want to move forward.

Again, thanks for all the comments and although Iceman has not participated
in the administration of SPAH or attended any recent conventions, his
opinions (new or old) are always welcomed.  He is also welcomed to write to
me directly as he did in the past and I do invite him, as I have in the
past, to "come have a look" to become informed on how SPAH now operates.
"Rome wasn't built in a day."

Look forward to seeing you all in St. Louis.

Tom Stryker