From: Winslow Yerxa
To: Mary Cooper ; Harp-L ; Vern Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Echo harps - a few corrections

> I have to disagree with a couple of Vern's statements about Echo harps.

I stand corrected! It has been a long time since I have owned a double-reed
harp. Although I qualified my statement with "probably", I should have made
no statement at all.

> Richter is a type of construction, not a tuning.

Isn't "Richter tuning" a commonly-used term? Is there another name for
the usual diatonic tuning with no "fa" and "la" in the low octave to
facilitate the draw dominant chord?

> Also, playing music that uses a diatonic scale does not of necessity limit
> the tunes to being simple. Some fairly intricate diatonic music is played
> both on tremolo harmonicas and on similarly tuned diatonic accordions.

All of the previous discussion was about the number of scale degrees, not
the timing. I certainly agree that timing can be intricate.

Vern