Re: [Harp-L] Echo harps - a few corrections

----- Original Message ----- From: Winslow Yerxa
To: Mary Cooper ; Harp-L ; Vern Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Echo harps - a few corrections

I have to disagree with a couple of Vern's statements about Echo harps.

I stand corrected! It has been a long time since I have owned a double-reed harp. Although I qualified my statement with "probably", I should have made no statement at all.

Richter is a type of construction, not a tuning.

Isn't "Richter tuning" a commonly-used term? Is there another name for the usual diatonic tuning with no "fa" and "la" in the low octave to facilitate the draw dominant chord?

Also, playing music that uses a diatonic scale does not of necessity limit the tunes to being simple. Some fairly intricate diatonic music is played both on tremolo harmonicas and on similarly tuned diatonic accordions.

All of the previous discussion was about the number of scale degrees, not the timing. I certainly agree that timing can be intricate.

Vern