[Harp-L] Jelly Roll Johnson

Hi

Jelly Roll Johnson's latest CD really is superb - the kind of disc you wouldn't be embarassed to give to a non harp player. I realized I'd listened to 'Songs From The Record Room' a dozen or more times, in every room of the house, for plain musical enjoyment. Really a different response for me - I usually whip out harps and immediately start 'playing along'.

Well, today I jumped in and started 'studying' this beauty. Jelly really puts on a clinic in soulful restraint, fine intonation, and timing. The funny thing is this CD has such a sense of flow and continuity to it, that it's kind of a shock to see what a wide variety of harp 'configurations' he employs. Here's what I've come up with so far.

1 Key To The Highway F Bb diatonic, 2nd pos.
2 Please Send me Someone To Love A G diatonic, 3rd pos.
3 In a Sentimental Mood F C chromatic (maybe a Bb)
4 Hallelujah I Love Her So G C diatonic, 2nd pos.
5 Everybody's Cryin' Mercy G Low F diatonic, 3rd pos.
6 Walkin' After Midnight E A diatonic, 2nd pos.
7 Don't Let The Sun Catch you Cryin' Eb Country tuned Ab diatonic, 2nd pos.
8 Just For A Thrill G C chromatic
9 Busted E A diatonic, 2nd pos.
10 Goodbye Pork Pie hat Eb Ab diatonic, 2nd pos.

I totally agree with all the glowing reviews; this is a must have recording.

Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
Listen to Roots Harmonica at http://www.live365.com/stations/staggerinjim