[Harp-L] Newbie

Hello all! I want to apologize in advance for any formatting errors. I'm new to this "mail list" thing and it may take a few questions and emails before I get things properly adjusted.

I don't want to babble on but feel a little history maybe needed. After three days research online, most every harmonica site I visited highly recommended you folks so I figure this would be the place to start. I'm not even sure you can help me but I guess it's worth a try.
My father and I have been going through some old boxes in the closet and came across two old harmonicas. My father told me they where his dad's. My father is quite musical (Hammer Dulcimer, Mandolin, Guitar, Hawaiian guitar) but said that he never could get the hang of playing a harmonica.

So, here's a few question to start with...

One, I'd like to get some information on these harmonicas. Both are in their original boxes (cardboard). Both are M. Hohner. Both have wood combs. One is labeled as "Echo Harp" and the actual harmonica states "Bell Metal Reeds". The other has no label. Or rather it has a label but other than the "M. Hohner" it is printed in what looks to be Chinese. Actually, both are pretty much printed in Chinese and since I don't read Chinese I cannot tell much about them. The Echo Harp also has Chinese stamped (engraved?)into the metal (I am guessing they indicate the key). I would guess my grandfather acquired these anywhere from the 1920's to the 1940's, but maybe earlier. As I said, I have searched for three days without much luck in finding any information on these and their value.(I'd post pictures but I'm not sure of the approved method of doing that here.). I get the feeling this is more a place for players to talk about their craft (trust me I am getting to that) than a "Antiques Roadshow" but I was hoping someone would recognize the description and be able to provide some info or pointers on where I might find some answers (I've already scoured many of the online antique and acution sites and nothing with the Chinese writing and only a few similar "Echo Harp" listings).

Which leads to my second question. I am interested in their history and value because I would like to learn to play. Regardless of value I plan on keeping them because they were my grandfather's but  it is always good to know the value of something. Also, if they are valuable I'd rather not use them. If they are not valuable I would like to use them but do not know if they would be practical for a beginner. If not, any recommendations on a brand and key (sorry if my terminology is off as well, I really am absolutely neon green in these matters!). Also, any recommended books, websites, etc. to help a beginner get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RT
Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are.  Start here.
http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home_082008