[Harp-L] SPAH convention locations

As I understand the main determining factor on where a SPAH convention will
be held is the size and strength of the local harmonica club.

That is why St. Louis is such a popular venue.

While SPAH does indeed have a board and officers, much of the work of setting
up a convention is conducted by the volunteer members of the local harmonica
club.

The exception to this was long-term tenure of SPAH in Detroit because that is
where the organization originated and most of the officers/board members
lived in the Detroit area -- and it was probably just easier to keep it in Detroit
near the airport for easy access over the years.

At one time there was a lot to be said for locating the convention near an
airport: easy in and easy out of the Midwest. Detroit Metro Airport was at that
midpoint. Fly in and take the shuttle to the hotel. At the same time, other
issues were involved such as keeping the convention room rates "reasonable" in a
hotel that was large enough to hold the harp fans.

Since I live in the Detroit suburbs -- 45 minute drive from the airport
hotels, it was fine with me in Detroit. I didn't always have vacation time, but I
could spend the day at the convention and still go to work at the newspaper in
the evening.

For those who want the convention located at a town near them -- wherever
they are -- they first need to make sure there is a viable harmonica club there.
Otherwise, the likelihood of a convention in their home town is nil.

Many people may recall the Memphis convention -- I had limited vacation time
that year so I attending by video purchased after the convention.

The Memphis club (group)? said they could handle it and had everything under
control until sometime near the last minute when it turned out they didn't.
Only through the stelar efforts of Pete Pedersen (and others) was the event able
to come off at all. For most of those attending the convention, they just
showed up and didn't have a clue how close the convention came to not happening
at all.

So it's not just a matter of geography. A SPAH convention needs dedicated
volunteer workers. Those of us who just fly or drive in for the convention,
socialize and check out the jams and workshops probably don't realize the amount of
work that goes into setting up the convention.

Some people have even opted out of an active roll in convention organization
when they realized that they were spending all this time working on a
"professional" convention and would not get paid for their time.

It would be nice if SPAH had a paid organizational staff that could book the
hotels, arrange for talent, seminars and other good stuff on a rotating basis
around the country. But this is not likely to happen soon.

If I'm completely wrong on this issue or details -- as I frequently am --
feel free to jump in with your corrective comments. I'm not fixing any blame here
by the way; just trying to put together a chronology of past conventions.

Phil Lloyd

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?
Read reviews on AOL Autos.