[Harp-L] re was whammer jammer--now learning new songs

I made it through another gig. Whammer Jammer went fine. No one even
noticed. I did it as a solo since I play in a band that abhors
practicing. No one in the band even noticed I was playing something
other than the standard foxhunt solo I always do, and with gas prices
the way they are, no one was on the dance floor, so it went well.

I used tab from harmonicalessons.com--I think. I just googled the tab.
I already learned the song by ear, but I had trouble remembering all
the different parts and where they came in the song, so I used the tab
as a map.

Next I'm working on Keep It to Yourself--the Sonny Boy Williamson
chestnut. In a way it's a lot harder than Whammer Jammer, because the
tone, the phrasing, and the vibrato are so beautiful. I can play the
notes no problem. It just doesn't sound like Sonny Boy. Tab won't help
me there. Sonny Boy had a way of keeping the vibrato on so even when
he hit a short little note in the middle of a riff,  he could add
vibrato to it. Way beyond me.

Is there such a thing as a cheap boom box where you can rewind, not
just to the begining of the song, but rewind to parts of the song?
Like on Whammer Jammer--do I really want to listen to that "Mookalooka
all night all right" rap at the beginning of the song every single
bazillion times I listen to the song? It was a lot easier back in the
days of LPs. Just pick up the needle and put it back on the groove.

After I get the Sonny Boy Williamson song down, I'm leaving the blues
realm and finally learning how to play "Pipeline" on the harp.
--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com