To: "John Balding" <John.Balding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Sentimental Tokens - was Buying Harps on Ebay

On Jul 30, 2008, at 2:40 PM, John Balding wrote:

I get the sentimental thing, but for me, it's the other side of the coin: things I wouldn't want to part with.

Now you're talking my language.

I have my grandfather's Marine Band in G that he used to mess around with on slow days while stationed in the Philippines during WWII. The covers are a bit rusty and some of the nails are loose, but it plays a sweet tune that only a harp with a lot of stories to tell could play.

Now see, that would be priceless (to me) and one couldn't PUT a price on something like that. It is something that could only be GIVEN away...to someone special.

I wouldn't be able to get the cost of a new MB for it. My grandfather wasn't famous. He was just a hard-working, honest man from Waycross, Georgia.. But this harp is priceless to me just the same.

Also, I have a half-full/half-empty bottle of Tanquerey gin that Junior Wells drank from while we talked after a show back in '95. He actually killed half the bottle while we talked about family, religion and the importance of practicing harp. He walked away...I grabbed the bottle. It sits on my dresser, much to my wife's dismay. Not worth a plug nickel, but to me it is a priceless reminder of a beautiful moment in time.

Yes indeed, these are the precious moments of our lives.

John Balding Tallahassee, FL

To me, and this is only my personal opinion, the people here on harp- l and slidemeister are more precious than all the 'so called' famous stars and entertainers. Not a lot of plastic phonies. There's some real winners here. Real people being real people leading real lives.

smo-joe