Subject: re: [Harp-L] SPAH Countdown

I have the same problem...and I'm only an amateur..but I always end up
carting extra harmonicas 'just in case'. And my carry-on (because there's no way
I'll check them)...then is much too heavy...probably the real reason (after
last year's Spah)..I'm now being forced to deal with a seriously damaged
shoulder....just from hefting my bag up into the overhead bin.

..so now travelling 'light' is the name of the game to this Spah..but I'll
guarantee that the one harmonica I decide not to bring will be the one I'll end
 up wanting or needing.  Of course we are not going to discuss the 'rest' of
my normal 'girl stuff' luggage ;)(Danny G. and SmoJoe helped me to the
outdoor  check-in leaving Buckeye and one of them asked me if I had a dead body  in
my main suitcase)..  so I already know I have to figure out a way  to cut
down.

But I fully intended to video as much of the proceedings as I could (like
last year) and want to bring my newly configured mp3 player with backing tracks
(and player)..and zoom..and that equipment all adds up to weight.  I've no
idea how I'm going to get there and manage my 'stuff' with only one good arm  :(

Living in New York means having to travel by air to anywhere there's ever
been a Spah.  It may be 'centrally located' for lots of folks (who should  count
themselves very lucky if they have a reasonable drive to the  Hotel), but
t'ain't fun for those of us up and down the East Coast; in  other outlying
states, and arriving from overseas...especially those who  like me aren't overly
fond of flying, lol.

Still...once there, it'll all be worth it. Each Spah is different and  unique
unto itself, and this one is showing all the signs of proving to be a
stellar party.

..beginning with the not-to-be-missed Jason Ricci Annual Harp Blow-Off on
the Tuesday night.  Just keep in mind (because he'll never say  so): that he
does this all on his own; pays that incredible band which  backs up all the
participants out of his own pocket, and doesn't get paid for  this 'gig'.  So ...be
generous ..those of us who'll be in attendance   :)   If he ever decides he
simply cannot afford to keep doing this  year after year, Spah will never be
the same (or as good) for me.

I'll try to have mapquest copies to the blow-off available at the front  desk
again this year.

Elizabeth

Message: 6