[Harp-L] SPAH Countdown and a Scary Realization

Well we are now starting the 12 day countdown to SPAH 2008! I am getting my
check lists together so I leave no details until last minute. Nothing is
worse than arriving at your destination and discovering that you left
something important home. I am not talking about trivial things like
underwear and socks and multi vitamins.I am talking about meat and potato
stuff like way too many harmonicas and dancing shoes and beer money and more
harmonicas. One of the key things to remember is to leave adequate space not
filled up in your luggage because you never come without an additional
supply of more harmonicas and miscellaneous "stuff". Of course there will be
the added space because no beer money will be left and you will have worn
out your dancing shoes (you can leave the remains as a tip for
housekeeping.they love SPAH convention souvenirs:-)) but don't be foolish
cuz you will need more room than that. It sounds like the vending room will
be chock full of goodies this year. I am looking forward to meeting the new
faces in harmonica related retail that will be setting up shop along with
Seydel, Suzuki, Hohner, Mr. Microphone, Cumberland, Mel Bay and other past
exhibitors.

I am happy to say that we have arranged for a FREE supply of coffee to be in
the area of my Blues for Breakfast discussion groups this year. I can't wait
to moderate the proceedings and hear some more wonderful stories and life
experiences from all you early morning "blues heads". Last years two events
were overwhelming and went into "over time". This year I want them to be
even more overwhelming, interesting, enlightening and fun so that we may
even have to consider a third day next time!

Charlie Musselwhite is looking forward to your questions again this year at
the Q&A session that I will be moderating. We don't want to let him off the
hook so we have to stop early! Please come prepared with some well though
out questions. The rules will be the same as last year. No questions about
specific techniques, Charlie will not be blowing any harp at this particular
session. He prefers to answer questions about his albums/songs and about
positions and modes. He also likes to answer questions about the many places
he has been and the many players that he has worked with over the years. He
is a walking encyclopedia on the blues scene in the USA starting in the
1950's. Come early to that one because last year was standing room only the
minute it started!

With the power house group of blues talent coming this year from both sides
of the "big pond" I expect the blues jams to be a major fireworks show every
night. I look forward to being second in command and working under Buzz
Krantz in keeping the collateral damage to a minimum from all of the flying
musical shrapnel in the air :-)

Now about my scary realization..I was just looking at my calendar and the
final day of the convention will coincide with a FULL MOON! Saturday night
might just be the makings for page one headlines in the St. Louis Sunday
newspapers! Maybe I will pack some extra underwear...

Warren Bee