Re:[Harp-L] Trio Polifonic Harmonica Trio

I wrote:
> Has anyone counted the time signature of this tune of Trio Polifonic?

To which Eugene responded

7/8. The piece has the following feel all the way through : 1 2 - 1 2 - 1 2 3

Thank you to Eugene and Gautam, who also called it at 7/8. I can count 7/8 in the rare pop tune or jazz tune where it shows up - some of the time. But it is played so naturally in this setting, and I'm not that good at counting in the first place.

Does anyone know of practice tracks in what are, for American ears, odd time signatures? THAT'D be a great stretch. If I come up with some myself I'll post them.

One of the techniques Duke Ellington used so as to come up with new musical ideas was to ask himself questions like "How can I make a thirteen and a half bar blues that doesn't sound like a twelve bar blues with a bar and a half tacked on, and what new feelings would that add to the blues?"

I think that when Ellington played dances, which he did alot, he left off his more adventurous adventures in time. American dance band music (and that includes blues, rock and roll and R&B) avoids all but a few time signatures because Americans aren't trained in dancing to most signatures. (Note how I cleverly avoided calling them "odd" time signatures this time.) That doesn't mean I don't want to learn how to play them naturally.

I was once called in to do a very short bit on a TV soundtrack. I played a Rennaisance that Doug and Bobbie loaned me - I'm not a chromatic player, but I play one on TV. Every bar of this bit was in a different and unaccustomed time signature. Let's just say I didn't nail it on the first take. Thank goodness it was an overdub.

By the way, a very diplomatic Harp-ler contacted me offlist to remind me that Istanbul is in the European part of Turkey - I had said it was in Asia.

Just because I can sound like I am pontificating doesn't mean I actually know everything.