[Harp-L] Re: Mandolin

   Richard: I second David Payne's suggestion to buy a low-end Kentucky A-style mandolin for starters. I prefer the oval-hole models and currently play a Kentucky km174 myself. The company recently has been making some great mandos for the money.
    The F-hole A-styles have a sound closer to the F5 scroll models but perhaps not as barky, which is what bluegrass players look for, that big bark, as the mando acts pretty much as a snare-drum in its rhythm role in bluegrass. The oval-holes have more sustain and are great for old-timey, blues or Celtic music. These are generalizations, of course, and YMMV. While BG players follow Bill Monroe's leadand lust after F5's withthe scroll, some pretty prominent BG players including Tim O'Brien play or have played A-styles. They aremuch less expensive and there has been considerable dbate about whether the scroll models (the F5's) add that much sound.
    If you can take a step higher in price and quality, you can get a good F5 by Kentucky or by Eastman for around $1500. Eastman makes great A-styles for a little over $500 and up.
   For lots of info and learning tools on mandolins and mandolin playing go to:

www.mandolincafe.com

    You night also want to subscribe to Mandolin Magazine. I believe there is a link at the Mandolin Cafe site to check that out. Mando Cafe also has forums that can be quite helpful, too, as well as a classified section where you may find a good used or new starter's mando.
    I've been playing mando off and on since 1994 and love it, but beware: It can lead to dangerous MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome) or even to a decision to take up the fiddle! It has in my own case.
    Usual disclaimers apply to my suggestions, of course. Hope this helps and have fun!

Bob Loomis
Concord CA
"So Many Tunes, So Little Time!"