RE: [Harp-L] Fender Vibrosonic

Jim,
  I understand about the wife.  My agreement with my wife is that I can use it when there is no one home.  Then I can play it as loud as I want.  Woo hoo.

  Here are tube values according to their gain factor (http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html).

  12AX7 = 100 gain
  12AT7 = 60 gain
  12AY7 = 45 gain
  12AU7 = 19 gain

  I wouldn't suggest a tube higher than 12AY7 in the Phase Invertor of your amp.  The 12AT7 and 12AX7 are too bright.

  I also wouldn't suggest a 12AU7 (too saggy) in the pre-amp Normal channel.

  You already have a 12AX7(the original tube from the normal channel), 12AU7 and 12AT7.  You would only need to acquire a 12AY7 and you are ready to start swapping.

  Here are the choices for your test, when you have time:

  Phase Inverter=12AU7.  Pre-amp Normal=12AT7.
  Phase Inverter=12AU7.  Pre-amp Normal=12AX7.
Phase Inverter=12AY7.  Pre-amp Normal=12AT7.

  The list has from darkest to brighest sounding settings.  Defintely use the nicest mic you own for this test so you will be able to gauge how it will really sound.

  After several minutes you will be able to decide which config is right for you.

  Have fun,

  Dave

"Priest, Jim" <Jim.Priest@xxxxxx> wrote:
      Thanks for the suggestions Dave. Steve hasn't changed the PI so I'll give it a go. I'd actually forgotten that I already have a 12AT7 there. I'll have a play around and report back on the results. It may take a while... the other drawback to the Vibrosonic that I hadn't mentioned is that my wife has banned me from using it in the house!

  Jim