Re: [Harp-L] Mandolin

Richard, this site may provide a helpful resource to your mandolin aspirations:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> "Richard Williger" <rlwilliger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/28/2008 9:28 PM >>>
I saw Howard Levy recently, performing in Chicago, at Fitzpatrick's, with
Special Consensus.  During that show, I was struck by the sound of the
mandolin, and I'd like to look into taking it up.  I am familiar with other
stringed instruments, in that I play guitar, bass, banjo, ukulele already.
However, I don't yet play the mandolin, and have no idea what to look for.
I mean, sure, it has to stay in tune, can't have an obviously warped neck,
not be banged up all to heck.  What brands are best known, and what would a
decently-playable, entry level instrument cost?  Thanks for any helpful
information.