[Harp-L] Teaching harmonica in China

To answer some questions:

>I would be interested in your thoughts about bluegrass harmonica techniques...
>also the state of Bluegrass in China....
>
>Thanks
>Dave

The site members are mostly enthusiastic beginners, with some more experienced players who help with questions on the forum (my webmaster translates some of the posts, as well as my replies). Many questions relate to sourcing instruments. Something like a Hohner Special 20 is an expensive luxury for many of them, however there is a range of low cost Chinese diatonics, some surprisingly good.

There is some interest in Bluegrass. Some site members record their pieces, post them on the Chinese version(s) of Youtube, then inform the list. Kind of like an ad hoc version of www.harmonicaboogie.com. As anyone familiar with Chinese popular music would know, there is a great liking for slow ballads. This is reflected in the recordings that members post on the list. Some players have recorded Chinese folk tunes, which sound very good. I have encouraged them to do more of these.

My lessons cover bluegrass harmonica techniques in great detail, particularly first position fiddle tunes.

>is the information on your harmonicatunes.com site quite different in the
>information provided on the chinese site....or very similar?
>
>if they are quite different, what about an english version....or an english
>language option on the chinese site?
>
>cheers, bruce

The information on the Chinese site is much more detailed than the tutorials on my harmonicatunes.com site. In particular, there are 60 graded lessons (soon to be 80) with many online sound files integrated with the lessons. The lessons go from beginning to very advanced, and cover blues, and bluegrass, with a small section on hip hop.

I will be releasing on English language version of this site in May, which will operate on a paid subscription basis.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.harmonicatunes.com