Re: [Harp-L] To be Heard... In a rock band

"G. E. Popenoe" wrote:

<Another possibility is to get a keyboard amp. This is basically a PA in <a
<box however I have not see a keyboard amp with as much flexibility to <add
<effects as with the PA approach.

Dunno about that. My Peavey K/B/A 100 has an effects loop jack on the front panel that puts the effects between the channel preamp and the main power amp, along with a preamp out jack on the back that you can use to send a signal to the PA (with effects in between if you choose). I'm pretty sure the Roland keyboard amps have FX loops too.

Most of the keyboard amps I see now have either built in FX or an FX loop. The latter is generally better if you already own a bunch of effects that you like. You're more likely to see built in FX delay and reverb on a PA amp, and those are the two most important FX for harp players; but if you want some weirder stuff, I'd go for something with an FX loop.

FYI, I saw in Computer Music this month that a manufacturer is gearing up to introduce a floor-mounted box with a footpedal that allows you to load your own VST (computer-based)effects in and chain them in any order you like. There are a HUGE number of free, high quality VST effects for reverb, delay, chorus, phase, flange, ring modulation, compression, EQ, etc. out there, and for short money you can buy some of the most extreme effects imaginable (e.g. an 8-way pitch shifter with delay on every line). I am looking forward to more news on that box with great interest.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter