Re: [Harp-L] Pre War Harps

Hi,
In think what you mean is 19 limit JI, not 17, and the two differences with 19 has 5 & 9 draw tuned 3 cents sharp, rather than 29-31 cents flat as in 7LJI. Huang was the first to use this tuning (althou some of the 5 & 9 draws were coming out as high as 16 cents sharp).

Sincerely
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com
MP3's: http://music.mp3lizard.com/barbequebob/

-- fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Payne writes:
> If you play straight harp on a JI, that five hole sounds like crap.

Extending your concept you could perhaps  say that the 5 and 9 draw
sound very flat.  There it is in a nutshell.  Dealing with this
limitation can teach you something.  What I would say about 12 ET is the
chords sound dreadful.  I don't agree with your assessment though.  5
limit and 7 limit JI on a diatonic harmonica will leave you with a very
flat 5 and 9 draw.  The same is not true of 17 limit JI.  Hohner's
various compromises in the modern era all had problems too. fjm