Re: [Harp-L] Pre War Harps

Dave Payne writes:
If you play straight harp on a JI, that five hole sounds like crap.

Extending your concept you could perhaps say that the 5 and 9 draw sound very flat. There it is in a nutshell. Dealing with this limitation can teach you something. What I would say about 12 ET is the chords sound dreadful. I don't agree with your assessment though. 5 limit and 7 limit JI on a diatonic harmonica will leave you with a very flat 5 and 9 draw. The same is not true of 17 limit JI. Hohner's various compromises in the modern era all had problems too. fjm