[Harp-L] Re: Sweet Georgia Brown

Hello, Robert McGraw.

If you are playing the tune, Sweet Georgia Brown, in Ab on a Bb diatonic
Richter system harp, you are playing in the 11th position.

There are 12 positions, one for every half step of a chromatic scale. A
chromatic scale is a scale with 12 equally spaced notes between  two same-spelled
notes.

As an example, between one C and another higher or lower-pitched C,  there
are 12 equally placed half steps. You can start a scale on any one of the  12
half steps.

Check the Sweet Georgia Brown's last melody note. If it's an Ab, that's the
key of the tune.

Here are the positions of the key of Bb (on a Bb harmonica):

1st position- Bb is "do."

2nd position-F is "do."

3rd position-C is "do."

4th position-G is "do."

5th position-D is "do."

6th position-A is "do."

7th position-E is "do."

8th position-B is "do."

9th position-F# (also called Gb) is "do."

10th position-C# (also called Db) is "do."

11th position-Ab is "do."

12th position-Eb is "do."

I'm an amateur harmonica player of limited skills. For my level of
experience, positions 1-4 and 12 are the only positions that I play on one  Richter
system ten-hole diatonic harmonica. The other positions involve more  bending and
overblowing, techniques that I have'nt mastered.

John Broecker

listings at AOL Autos.