Re: [Harp-L] Sweet Georgia Brown Question

Hi Folks
People who are better at jazz theory than me will be able to explain this
better than I can probably and I'm also at work and I haven't got a copy of
the head with me, I probably also need to actually do some work at some
point too!  If I remember rightly, the first 12 bars of the tune are four
bars or F7, then four bars of Bb7 and four bars of Eb7, then the progression
adopts a chromatic pattern resolving to the Ab.

In Ab the six chord would be Fm, the two chord would be Bbm7 and Eb7 is the
five chord.  Jazz musicians and composers will very often sharpen the thirds
of those minor chords to make them dominant, or to use the correct
terminology to make them sub-dominant.

The dominant chords is dictated by the melody but these also enable the use
of more varied harmony i.e. the use of diminished and chromatic scales etc
which provides more options to the improviser.   So my understanding of what
is happening here, is that the tune is in Ab and stays there, as you are
still playing harmony based on Ab, so when you play this tune on a Bb as I
do, you are in 11th position and because of the nature of the progression it
sits very nicely on that key harp.

Bill