Re: [Harp-L] Marine Band Deluxe

On Apr 25, 2008, at 4:23 PM, David Payne wrote:

Everybody blows out the D first, it's not just you. As you move up the keys, starting at G, G-C are typically all the same reedplate, the slots and reeds are longer. When you get to D, you move up to the short slot, that goes up to F#. That's why the usual D keeps blowing out... the 1847 is the only long-slot D I can think of. If someone else knows of one, I'd like to know what it is.

I find the D harps to be the easiest to play. The lower harps are harder to bend spot on with the bend already installed (and then hold it there). The higher harps are balky and sometimes have jet lag, and feel strained. I can't wait to try a Seydel, and see if there's a difference.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

I find working on harmonicas to be roughly between watch repair and small pistol repair. Certainly not as precise as watch repair where the tiniest of slip ups will KEEP the watch out of commission and making parts from scratch is not practical. But making small parts for small pistols IS possible. The good part is that the parts only have to be fit correctly, and everything will function. With a harmonica, the parts have a DUAL role. They not only have to fit properly, but also make SOUND. It is THERE where most 'hot rodders' (customizers) have the most hair tear out.

smokey-joe