From: Joe and Cass Leone [mailto:leone@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 April 2008 18:51
To: Aongus MacCana
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Made in China thread

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Aongus MacCana wrote:

> Like another reader has already said I am old enough to remember
> when "made
> in Japan" was synonymous with "cheap and nasty".

I remember when it was 'OCCUPIED Japan' and their toys were made from
old beer cans.

> Even as recently as thirty years ago Japanese cars were considered
> "slightly
> dodgy", but when I was on a visit to Boston a few years ago I was
> taken
> aback when I eyeballed the cars backed up at the traffic lights
> near my
> hotel. Ten out of twelve cars were Japanese!

When they first came over they were small and easy on gas. BUT, now
they  keep making them more and more powerful and thirstier. The
whole easy on gas thing was a ploy to get in the door.

> On a recent trip to Germany I was told that Hohner is now owned by
> Chinese
> and that the bulk of their production is in China.
> Seydel Harmonicas are made in Germany, but I was told that this
> company is
> now owned by U.S. principals.
> I guess the world is getting smaller every day and China is bound
> to start
> aggressively looking for it's "fair share of the goodies" sooner
> than we
> think.

I don't blame China at all. It's the AMERICAN industrialists. Our
fathers & grandfathers worked in the mills & mines and as soon as
their 53 year fight to unionize was realized, the greedy robber
barons couldn't stand seeing us come out of our caves and into
houses, so they moved all production off shore.

smo-joe