Re: [Harp-L] Made in China thread

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Aongus MacCana wrote:

Like another reader has already said I am old enough to remember when "made
in Japan" was synonymous with "cheap and nasty".

I remember when it was 'OCCUPIED Japan' and their toys were made from old beer cans.

Even as recently as thirty years ago Japanese cars were considered "slightly
dodgy", but when I was on a visit to Boston a few years ago I was taken
aback when I eyeballed the cars backed up at the traffic lights near my
hotel. Ten out of twelve cars were Japanese!

When they first came over they were small and easy on gas. BUT, now they keep making them more and more powerful and thirstier. The whole easy on gas thing was a ploy to get in the door.

On a recent trip to Germany I was told that Hohner is now owned by Chinese
and that the bulk of their production is in China.
Seydel Harmonicas are made in Germany, but I was told that this company is
now owned by U.S. principals.
I guess the world is getting smaller every day and China is bound to start
aggressively looking for it's "fair share of the goodies" sooner than we
think.

I don't blame China at all. It's the AMERICAN industrialists. Our fathers & grandfathers worked in the mills & mines and as soon as their 53 year fight to unionize was realized, the greedy robber barons couldn't stand seeing us come out of our caves and into houses, so they moved all production off shore.

smo-joe

Aongus Mac Cana