[Harp-L] Reed Geometry and a Plethora of Screws

While scavenging for a replacement reed for a Hohner Special 20,
I decided to look at my cheapo Blue Steel harps to see if I could
use one of those reeds. Imagine my surprise to find that the reeds
are almost 50% wider than the Special 20 reeds. Obviously, I didn't
try using one as a replacement. This seems to confirm Vern's
thought experiment about taking two identical reeds and moving
them closer and closer together until the two reeds are welded
together. Apparently, the width of the reed has no impact on pitch.
Obviously, it will have an impact on the amount of air required to
sound the pitch. (Maybe that's why the Blue Steel harps require
so much breath to play!)

I also was surprised to find that there are 9 (NINE) screws holding
the plates together on the Blue Steel. That brings me to a somewhat
paradoxical conclusion. The higher quality (i.e., more expensive) harps
have a tighter machining of the constituent parts; consequently, it
takes fewer screws to hold them together tightly. On the other hand,
maybe the cheap harps REQUIRE more screws to compensate for
lousy machining tolerances and shapes.

Thoughts?
Crazy Bob

Make i'm yours.  Create a custom banner to support your cause.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Contribute/Default.aspx?source=TXT_TAGHM_MSN_Make_IM_Yours