Re: [Harp-L] Harps made in China

----- Original Message ----
From: "jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx" jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx
.  "...When ever I see the Made in China label I can't help but wonder what kind of sweat shop this it came from.  But then again, there is no guarantee that American goods are not made in sweatshops.  That is another reason why I play a lot of vintage (used if you will) harps.  By buying used (my nurse wife says that I am not putting myself in danger) I  can guarantee that I am not contributing to the mistreatment of another human.  If I knew the conditions of the Chinese fa!
ctories (or any well else for that matter) I would have no problems buying."

That's a good point. It takes a lot of research to figure that stuff out... and that's a big reason I have such brand loyalty. I find a brand, research the hell out of it and stick with it, unless something better comes along.
I'll give an example... I don't use pens, I use pencils. unless I gotta write a check, then I borrow a pen. A lot of american pencil companies have moved production to China. So, I buy Staedtler pencils. Made in Nuremburg, Germany. Company has been around since 1832. They are awesome pencils. The lead will not break inside the pencil. They are like space pencils, they are unreal.
Another example, my cologne. I wear Casswell Massey No. 6. Casswell Massey has been around since the 1750s. George Washington wore No. 6, in fact, he sort of bathed with it during all those years he was afield with various armies. I'm also a big fan of GW. My wife likes No. 6 for different reasons. Considering my experience with No. 6, it's a wonder GW and Martha never had any children.

My point is, I like to buy quality stuff, made by people who are not exploited whenever possible. I like to buy these things and fewer of them and take care of what things I have, so I can do things like buy a house for my family. I've had the same belt since I was 14 years old, I wear it ever day, but it gets mink oil treatment once a month. I might be buried in it. I wear a 10-year-old swiss Army Watch from Wenger (I think the casing is China, movement Swiss), nice boots, a John By God B. Stetson hat (when not wearing the Seydel ball cap), all quality things, but I take very good care of these things and they last me a very long time. My boots are well cared for and when the soles wear out, I will get new soles, not new boots.

Anytime you post something saying something on Harp-L, there are some who come back and say "you're completely wrong, you jackass." If somebody knows some dark secret about Staedtler pencils, or that George Washington secretly was pouring his No. 6 on the ground and refilling the bottles with "Shanghai Passion" cologne, please keep it to yourself or post with subject line "Dave, do not read, this will rock your pencil/George Washington world."

Permit me to continue to live in my pencil/cologne world of ignorant bliss.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com