Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harps made in China

Hi Gary:

Interesting topic and premise.

 In my case, my driveway (and garage) hold only American made  cars...not my
choice, but my husband's long-held belief in buying "only  American' ...and in
particular Chrysler 'Muscle' cars.

(As of yesterday in fact, his years-long dream of having his 1969  Plymouth
Road Runner brought to a shop for repainting (in its original  colour)...and
brought back to its original factory specs, is finally being  fulfilled.   The
car is all original, Vin Nos. and all, but has a  wee bit rust here and there
and needs 'freshening' (seats replaced, other  cosmetic work)...his first
purchased car with his GI Pay on arrival home  from Vietnam, kept garaged for all
these years.)

I'm personally not hung up on where a car is made..I'd drive  whatever
vehicle fit me comfortably...but as far as Jeffrey's point about  not knowing what's
in the plastic of a harmonica one is putting in one's  mouth...I 'can' speak
to that.

I lost 8 out of my 15 pets (no typo) within a 22 month  period, over the last
3-l/2 years.   All due to the poisoning of  the imported pet food from China.
We pet owners did not know the food we were  buying by different 'American'
companies, all came from one main source  which included poisoned grain brought
in from China.  The jury's still  out whether it was due to insecticide
sprayed on the grain, or rat poison.   Do I care which?  All I know is that my pets
died in clusters,  and every one from kidney failure.  The cost to me  was
enormous and devastating..both financially and emotionally.

  The lead found in children's toys now, post-dates the death of  my pets and
is a lot worse than most people realize.  I get recall  notices all the time
due to toxicity of children's products...inevitably,  they're made in China.
Do you think I would now spend a cent on a food  product coming from China, or
would purchase ANY Chinese made product that could  potentially poison me or
anyone close to me after that experience, including a  harmonica?

China has a long way to go to prove their products meet the most basic of
our standards.
We have to abide by the FDA's rules, they don't.   I don't fault  the Chinese
people, but the rush by their government to corner the world market  on goods
while paying slave wages...and lack of oversight of ingredients....as  well
as our government in allowing these products in without better  controls.

Until then, once bitten...twice shy.

Elizabeth

"Nemo me impune lacessit"

"Message: 10