Re: [Harp-L] Harps made in China

This may sound a bit pessimistic but businesses all over the world are often
run the way you describe and construct sophisticated PR damage control
programs to compensate for the occasional screw up or life(s) lost. China
doesn't have the corner on this behavior.

I've never been overly thrilled with the quality of my Hohner harmonicas. I
look longingly at my friends who buy beautiful guitars that play great right
off the wall display. Yes they tweak them a bit sometimes, but the average
out of the box quality is much higher for many other instruments than ours.

I guess that's great for all of you custom harp builders.

BTW. I've lost faith in believing that I have "bought American." China is
the manufacturer for the world right now. Even high end designer clothes are
largely fabricated in China and then shipped to Italy for final assembly
just so the garment can say, "Made in Italy." The automotive industry is
very global now. That Ford F150 mentioned previously in this thread has
components fabricated from Ford's world wide manufacturing base. You are not
buying 100% American. Your just buying a Ford.

Oh yeah...shhhh! The new Chevy Malibu is based upon German engineering from
GM's Opel subsidiary.

I'm at the point right now that I really have to look at each instrument for
it's merits. If I can get a better Hohner Super 64 that is made in China but
to Hohner's standards of sound and performance, so be it. I just want to
make sure Hohner is doing their due diligence to make sure that they are
using a quality fabricator who treats their workers well and uses
environmentally sustainable practices.