Re: [Harp-L] Steve Baker Special

Am Dienstag, 22. April 2008 schrieb Frank Evers:
> The 365 has chromo reeds. They are longer, thicker

Now this might need further explanation why i think that matters:

Length:
 Vern used the term deflection, i'll add another one: amplitude.
As far as i understand the reeds very tip of both, a short (ordinary
harp) reed and a long (chromo) reed, both of the same pitch, have
nearly the same amplitude at a given air pressure. As the chromo reed
is longer there's less deflection per inch - every single point of
the reed is stressed less.

Thickness:
I don't believe in perfect reeds. In every single reed there are
microcracks, anomalies in the moleculaire structure, etc. that can be
the starting point of a rupture. If the reed is thicker (which
invariably also means longer if we want it to the job properly)
there's a better chance that the surrounding material will stabilize
the less perfect stuff.

--
Gruß,Frank