From: "Philharpn@xxxxxxx" <Philharpn@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 11:55:20 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Choking the reeds -- harmful?

Now that we've got the issue of reed material pretty well in hand, perhaps
it's time to discuss long lived-reeds.

Many people remember the old admonition from Hohner on that little paper with
the harmonica: "Don't choke the reeds. Choking the reeds voids the warranty."
FYI: Choking is an older term for bending.

Is there any evidence that "skillful" bending and overblowing damaged reeds
and shorten the reed life? (Keeping in mind that the opposing reed provides the
bend, of course.)

I don't overblow (very much) and have found that bending takes very little
pressure or wind -- in fact just enough air to fog a mirror usually works for
me.

(I tend to think John Popper "blowing out reeds" during a performance extreme
(not typical); but then I was wrong in '98 too.)

Phil Lloyd