[Harp-L] why I like steel reeds

I like the idea of steel reeds. After looking at the ocilloscope graphs supplied by Seydel e Sohn, you didn't have to drop a brick out house on me for me to see that the readings for brass & steel were NOT the same. Similar but not the same. Wouldn't work with DNA. Different suspect.

1... If one takes a music box clock work mechanism, one notices that there is a tiny 'comb' inside into which a number of tines are cut somewhat resembling the teeth of a comb. There is a small barrel covered with tiny pins. These pins pluck the tines and produce a sweet tone.
The pins are steel, the tines are steel.
There is NO channel around the tines. The tines are right next to each other.

2...If one takes a harmonica, one notices that the reedplate has slots in it into which are placed a number of reeds. The reeds are separated ansd sit in their own channels. These reeds are activated by breath. The breath is soft. The reeds are brass. When you pluck these reeds there is a muffled tone. Why? When you activate them with SOFT breath, they sound...well...softly. (by comparison)

3...steel accordion reeds are bright WHEN the box is open

4...steel harmonetta reeds are bright WHEN the box is open

Back to the Seydel graphs. There were more 'skyscrapers' in the steel skyline. The 'city' that the steel produced had the appearance of a more prosperous city. I am no sound engineer but the steel graph just looked fuller. I don't know what this means from an engineering viewpoint, but I know that I LIKE what I see, and I have a way of knowing stuff that even 'I' don't know I know. And I know that steel just LOOKS good.

I'm hoping my ears can bear me out. Keep in mind that I like bright. Some players prefer the 'mellow' tone of brass reeds.

smokey-joe