Re: [Harp-L] inventions of steel proof

Dave Payne writes:

True, although there were problems with making that reed on the harmonica's minute scale... that was what had to be overcome. Also, the harmonica itself was the adaptation of pitchpipes to a new format.

As noted, Hohner had already made steel reeds for the Harmonetta, though that didn't cover the highest octave of a standard harmonica in C. Again, I applaud Seydel for their design and the challenges they overcame with their specific design, which seems to have succeeded. My argument is not to diminish that, but rather put it in perspective and the proper context, and use this specific example to put other harmonica developments into their greater context as well (alternate tunings, responder reeds, etc...).

As for the harmonica being an adaptation of pitch-pipes, maybe. The early history of the instrument is not well documented at all, and again we see many people springing up with various designs for free- reed instruments at the beginning of the 19th century, including the precursors of harmonicas, accordions, reed-organs, and concertinae as well as other now abandoned forms. Exactly where they got their inspiration from is unknown, and many of these early harmonica forms arrived on the scene simultaneously with pitch-pipes, which begs how the harmonica could be an adaptation of something which was only just being created.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'