[Harp-L] Seydel 1847 covers/Customs

I'm with Frank. I don't like the covers or the comb. No side vents on the covers and the hole spacing is too wide and tall on the comb. Plain ordinary square holes are my preference. It will take me a bit to break a reed on an 1847 simply because I don't play mine much. I did retro fit Big River covers onto a C 1847 and I like those better than the stock covers. coincidentally that particular C has been customised and if I could remember that I would use it more often. Trouble is I have a superb Marine Band C that is also customised that I prefer. That particular harmonica just recently got a reed replaced. It was over 5 years old and it had been played hard and often. I've also got a Bob Meehan C Marine Band that I retuned to G minor natural. I beat that thing up, I'm mean to it and I play it on all 10 holes all the time. It dates from when he still lived in New Jersey. It's got to be 7 years old now, no reed replacements yet. Generally speaking I get years out of a custom harmonica. The only stock harmonica in my regular rotation save Steve Baker Specials which also last forever is a Special 20 in low Eb. It's years old and it plays just fine and yes I do use it. I might have regapped it and touched up the tuning but no reed work.

Gruß, fjm