Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?/stainless reeds

Hey, Frank, I'd be interested to hear some details about the reed fatigue or maybe where the reports are coming from. I'm not questioning what you are saying  I'm just really trying to get a handle on how long they last. Whenever I talk to a customer who bought one from me I ask how it's doing, as far as I know, everyone I've sold is still up and runing and they usually get the Forty Seven in their main key, so it gets plenty of use. . Mine's been going a year and sitll in perfect tune, no beating on the octaves. I asume someday the first crop of 1847s will start fatiguing. When will that be? 10 years? 20 years? A milennium? I have no clue. On my 1847 C, I'd have gone through three Special 20s with the stress I've put on it.

I did break a reed on a Big Six stainless a month ago... here is what it took to finally do it. I tuned a Big Six to some new circular-type tuning I'd sort of invented, to get it, I had to tune the 6 blow a step and a half down for this tuning.  I never consider anything more than a step on a brass reed, but the stainless reed took it a step and half. I decided I'd rather have a Richter Big Six than this new invented circular, plus I had one I retuned to an actual circular, so I tuned it back to Richter. I then  tuned it a step and half back up. There was barely any metal left after all that... but, it still played. Played very well, in fact. Then, I spent a couple days trying to learn this "Once Upon A Time In The West" thing Igor Flach was doing, it's probably the most stress I've ever put on a reed playing... after a couple of days of this, I was doing the Igor Flach thing and the No. 6 blow went about two steps flat in 3 seconds. From my experience,
 at least, that's what it takes to fatigue a steel reed. That's quite a bit of abuse.

Dave Payne
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com
I've seen many reports of broken Seydel SS reeds. They are subject to
fatigue, probably not as quickly, but they break. Additional research
for optimized reed profiles might make them still sturdier, i don't
think Seydel has reached the optimum yet.

--
Gruß,Frank