RE: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas-----Is it worth it?

Tread lightly.  Buying a custom harp has totally ruined my harp playing experience...(and is also the best thing I've done for my playing).

I own one full custom/tweaked/improved/whateverthetermisnow* Spiers harp (in D).  It's my pocket harp, my go-to solo/noodling harp, the harp I play every chance I get.  Any time I play another harp, I notice the many ways it is inferior to the Spiers harp...the reference harp.  My stock MB D?  Sharper corners, unsealed wood, tuning a little off, can't overdraw 7 consistently, overblow 6 has tendency to ring, inconsistency from reed to reed (that I never noticed before), etc..  Before the Spiers harp, I really liked that stock D...would even say it was in the top 3 of my all-time favorite harps.  All of the other keys/brands are inferior to the Spiers harp in several ways.  Sure, some of them may be from differences other than stock vs. custom (such as low/high, brand differences, etc.), but that's what I blame first.

I'm also a one-key guy now...(like a beginning guitar player and the key of E).  If I'm calling the key, I'm calling A.
Minor tune?  Let's play it in Em.  First position?  How about D.  I
used to be a roll-with-the-punches-anything-you-want-to-play-in-whatever-key, I'll grab a harp and go...but now, I'm constantly wishing I was playing my favorite harp.  ("C'mon guitar guys, just tune everything down a full step and you'll never know the difference...and you'll be able to bend so much easier and your strings will last longer.")

On the positive side, the Spiers harp gives me a standard to aim for when tweaking my other harps.  I know how I want them to "feel" now.  I don't tweak my other harps as much as I used to though, since the standard is so high that I don't feel I can ever reach it.  It was also the catalyst to learn how to overblow any marginally appropriately gapped stock harp.  How much of that is equipment vs. confidence?  No idea...and I don't care.  I can do it now, and it's the result of the custom.  I also believe now that setup is absolutely crucial to overdraws.

Because of this one harp, the only cure for my problem is 11-13 more custom harps to complete the set...if only I can come up with an extra $2-$3k, problem solved.

That one custom harp may be the thing to get you to the next level of playing...but it may also be the gateway harp to you pawning your wife's heirloom jewelry to complete the set.  You've been warned.

Jonathan

*Bad enough you guys tried to change the term "Gus".  Now you want to rename "custom" harps?  Is nothing sacred?