Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?

Wolf, in my customized harp experience ( I would say my attack is somewhere around the middle range of force... not so soft, not too hard)  I have found that harps with reed work done by customizers, be it the $50 general performance tweak model or the full out $100+ total custom job lasts me at least 3 to 4 times longer than an off the shelf harp.  And, they can be returned to the customizer for maintenance (getting them back to near shipping day quality) for about the same price as a new OTS harp.   Although a larger initial investment, I have found it to be a wise one.

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> Wolf Kristiansen <wolfkristiansen@xxxxxxxx> 4/15/2008 12:54 PM >>>
I read the discussions about custom harmonicas, and
custom harmonica patents, with interest.  Here's a new
related topic, something I've always wondered about
and not seen asked or answered.  Feel free to correct
any of my assumptions.

I would love to have customized harmonicas.  However,
I assume the reeds get fatigued at the the same rate
as those in stock harmonicas. I replace my harmonicas
regularly, after extending each harmonica's life
somewhat by filing a reed when it first goes flat.
Eventually, as we all know, that reed is gone forever.

I'm not well off.  I can't justify buying expensive
customized harmonicas that I will eventually throw
away. I'm too frugal. (I assume they eventually get
thrown away, like stock harmonicas). Are the
customized harmonica users richer than the rest of us?
 Am I missing something?

Some of you, if you respond to this topic, will be
tempted to talk about changing one's playing style to
lengthen the life of the harmonica.  That's fine, but
my musical/bluesical style over the last 30 years has
incorporated plenty of hard blowing and drawing, and I
would rather keep that style than change it to save
money.

No disrespect is intended to the excellent customizers
out there; it's great you're doing it and great
there's a market for your work.

Cheers,

Wolf Kristiansen