[Harp-L] Computer recording

Richard Hunter wrote:
Computer Music ... I repeat that any novice who wants to learn more about computer recording can make no better investment than a subscription to this magazine.

Two other high quality resources for people who really want to learn recording.

1. The book "Sound FX" by Alexander U. Case. You can get it through Amazon.

This book is the church. You will understand a whole lot about those controls in the recording studio after you read the book. If you have a high-end multitracker and you really want to learn the wherefores and the whys of EQ, compression, sends and returns and all the other studio tools, this is your college course in the subject.

2. The best ear training for the engineer that I've seen is the David Moulton's Golden Ears Audio Program. http://www.kiqproductions.com/ It doesn't replace years of daily apprenticeship in a master studio, but it'll seriously improve your ears if you're intending to make recordings in your project studio.

The tenor of discussion on Harp-l reveals that lots of us are the kinds of people that tend to get deeper and deeper into any subject that interests them. "Sound FX" is an essential addition to your library if you have or intend to obtain multitracking software. The Golden Ears course is for people who have become truly fascinated by the craft and want to really grow.

There was a time when none of us needed to know this stuff, but now that you can be our own engineers, it really doesn't hurt to know a bit of what the professionals know. Though I way prefer recording my music in a master studio with a great engineer, I engineer lots of my work so I can actually make the money, and such things as the music for audio books do not need a master engineer. The more I know about the subject the better.

Great historical sidenote. Many people regard Bill Putnam as the greatest recording engineer ever, not only because his recordings are beautiful but because invented much of modern recording technique, and many of the devices that are used every day in professional studios. He also happens to have produced and engineered the Harmonicats' original Peg O' My Heart (and owned the label it was on) and also engineered Little Walter's recording of Juke. This is a wonderful historical connection between harmonica and recording technique.