From: MARVIN Fleischman <m0flei01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Philharpn@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:31:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Tombo 17-hole slide harp

Where can the Tombo educational model, Single 22, be purchased?

>>> "Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> 4/2/2008 12:14 AM >>>
Your version of the layout didn't survive the posting Phil; but looking at the website, I'd say it's just a standard solo tuning missing most of the third octave, thus making the further change in breathing unnecessary, which is why they can afford to drop the double Cs.
Another way of looking at this tuning is a diatonic with the bottom (chord tuned) three holes chopped off.
So, to get the C scale, you go: blow/ draw (change holes) blow/draw, blow/draw then draw blow. Then your blow note is above the paired draw instead of the other way around. Notice that when they get beyond the second octave, the D is two holes away and the B is paired with an E.
This looks like the setup on the Hohner 12 & 14 hole Marine Bands.
I notice that the next model down the screen is a spirally tuned chromatic (UNICA FORMAL No.1844) which is another way you can avoid double Cs if they bother you.
Also, at the top is TOMBO CHROMATIC SINGLE (No.S-50) This was interesting to me as just last week a friend gave me an instrument schematically identical to this, except it was a (wait for it!) Yamaha, and the model titled 'Soprano Single'. It was still boxed and looks to be at least 30 years old.
RD

>>> <Philharpn@xxxxxxx> 2/04/2008 14:23 >>>
Checked out the Tombo web site and discovered a listing for a slide
chromatic.
It looks like a modified solo tuning. Unlike the richter slide harps (Koch,
Hohner) each module has a full octave with no missing notes. But it also avoids
the double Cs ( CEGCCEGC) of the solo chrome.

Here is the site for Tombo and its plastic comb 17-hole slide harp.

<http://www.tombo-m.co.jp/eng/index.html>

IT SAYS: "Durable and small in size making it easy to handle."
Is this available in the U.S.?

The layout is  button out:

        D      F      A        B      D          F          A          B
holes 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16
17
            C      E      G      C        E          G            C

Button in puts the sharps in the same holes.

Phil Loyd