Re: [Harp-L] Rauland 2135 for Feedback

GLENN and DEBBIE WOODHOUSE wrote:

<I've got a vintage Rauland 2135 PA amp that I have been playing with <recently. I like it's tone but am struggling with feedback anywhere <past mid-volume. I've swapped out the 12AX7's with 12AY7's but this <didn't help much.

The problem may be the result of the combination of the amp and the mic you're using. Most feedback involves a specific band of frequencies; if both the amp and the mic are pushing a particular frequency range very hard (like, for example, around 650 Hz, or 3kHz-5kHz, which are frequency bands where many tube amps and bullet mics both put out a lot of energy), that can result in feedback.

Try a different mic (like a stick vocal mic) and see if the problem persists. Or borrow or buy a 10-band graphic equalizer (guitar pedal EQ will work fine) and test each band to see if pulling it back makes the feedback go away. Or record yourself, put the recording into the computer, and use a spectrum analyzer like Voxengo's free SPAN plugin to see where your output is peaking in terms of frequencies, then use an EQ to pull back the output in the peak range.

Regard, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter