re: Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic layout generator -- solo tuned

Phil wrote:
> I was attacked bitterly recently for pointing out that I thought
> the transition to the chromatic from the diatonic was easy because
> holes 4-7 are repeated on the chromatic.

I hope my response didn't come across as an attack!

> > Isn't a "normal chrom" just a diatonic in solo tuning?
> Not true because a "normal diatonic" in C is usually construed to
> mean a layout of CEGCEGCEG with the blow draw pattern like the
> chrome only in the middle octave.
>
> Whereas a solo tuned chrome is
> CEGCCEGCCEGC

But my point was that a "normal" *chromatic* harmonica is tuned
diatonically in a pattern generally called "solo" tuning, but with a
mechanism to sharp and flat the notes.  It seems that any layout
procuded by a generator for a diatonic harmonica could be applied to
any instrument with that mechanism.  Solo, diminished, augmented
wholetone, and any other tuning can be applied to the instrument
regardless of any mechanisms for producing the "extra" notes.

It would make sense to have layout generators that apply to the
various mechanical bodies of harmonicas - dual chamber (w overbends),
single chamber (w single reed bends), enabler-reed (XB40 style),
slide mechanism (pushbutton style), etc., with their various numbers
of holes/reeds.  Then the tunings are simply overlaid onto that and
the extra notes are determined by the tuning and the mechanics.

-tim