Re: [Harp-L] Danny Boy

Big Phil,

The discussion was (basically) that I had mentioned that while in Nashville in 1975, I happened to be warming up for the Christmas show and happened to be playing Londonderry Aire (NOT London Derriere..snicker). This tune had previously been played by using a D Richter 'crossed' for the head and then when one got to the bridge, one would switch to an A Richter in straight position. This was because of that pesky 5th draw being a natural. This is the way Mr. McCoy played it. Then when the key was shifted (modulated), he would use 2 more Richters. Total = 4.

An older gentleman (a chromo player) asked me how I did it. So I showed him. I also did Chapel in the Moonlight, Honeysuckle Rose, etc. and on those tunes it is CRITICAL to be able to blow the #5 blow note DOWN. So I have a windsaver on the #5 draw ..also. Phil Gazell uses windsavers all over the place, but I only use the one.

I had always used just 1 SJ tuned (which everyone now knows as a melody maker), and on modulation, 1 more..= total 2 (instead of 4). By using an SJ tuned, you needn't go to a second harp (except for modulations). :)

smokey-joe