Re: [Harp-L] Tuning Question

If you live in Germany (where 444 is the de facto standard) and play really hard (and therefore depress pitch), 444 (or even higher) might be a good idea. (Even in the US, I've heard of high-pressure players like Stevie Wonder and Leo Diamond tuning as high as 446 and 448.)

If you live in the US and play really softly with almost no breath pressure, 440 might work for you.

However, I'd be inclined to suggest 442, which I understand is what Hohner uses for their handmades. According to the booklet for his repair kit, Lee Oskar tunes 10 cents sharp of 440 (which works out to roughly 442.5). This gives you a starting point that is between extremes and fairly likely to work out.

If 442 works out uncomfortably high or low for your technique and playing circumstances, you'll have a basis to go lower or higher.

Don't forget to settle on a tempering scheme. If you want to play a harp in multiple keys that get a fair distance from the home key and don't play a lot of chords, equal temperament may be the way to go. If you want to play down-home blues in second position, 7-limit just intonation might be just the ticket. In between are all sorts of tempering schemes that will favor some things and not others - it depends on what you want the harp to do.

Winslow

Grant Kester <gkester@xxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear List,

I'm doing some tuning of my diatonics and wondered what advice people
might have about what hz. to use as the baseline for tuning (440 or
444hz?). I find both discussed in various books, websites, etc.

Best wishes,
Grant Kester