[Harp-L] Tongue control and development

Wow, good stuff, Iceman.

   I know I am asking for it, tongue in cheek, so to speak, but what are some excellent tongue exercises (beyond playing harmonica)?

  From the start, I learned harp, without any instruction using the pucker method, also called 'hole blowing' (thank you, Skinny DInnie!).
  I use my tongue alot, I never used it for tongue-blocking, and was not really aware of how or what I was doing internally. I just listened, played, and attempted to adjust to get closer to what I wanted.
  The past seven years has exposed me to so many harp players that the feeling of being isolated is gone. So thanks!
  Brian

  Iceman sez:

  "The tongue control is something that is easily learned. However, it
does
take time - and commitment. Learning to use your tongue to its fullest
extent,
for harmonica players especially, is a real advantage.

The tongue/throat muscles are not bundled. They can act independently.
  Also,
the tongue muscle is amazing. You can curve it at the back while
wiggling
the tip side to side, roll it, flatten it, move different parts of it
different
ways at the same time, etc. The most important factor is to become
aware of
the  possibilities and explore them.

Learning how to control the tongue is a discipline of SLOW and  RELAX,
gradually building up the speed. The RELAX is crucial, as once you
  feel tension in
your body it is reflected along all the nerve paths leading to  muscle
control. Also, once you tense up, your tongue muscle becomes a  harder
lump in your
mouth. Even those that use TB and movement for big sound  (for example,
Kim
Wilson and his patented solo harmonica groove extravaganza)  need to
totally
relax the tongue muscle while moving it at a good  velocity.

Move only the absolute minimum muscle needed to create the maximum
effect.
Learn to disengage muscles not totally essential to the process.

It is easier to teach a total beginner this discipline than to work
with
someone who's played for a while and has built up habits that need to
be
unlearned.

The Iceman"