Fwd: [Harp-L] B- Bb, Dm queston

billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<I *never* got asked to play in B before! And my B harp was with  the
'second tier' stuff in my case, out of reach since the stage was  packed
and there was no room. How embarrassing.>>

I used to play with a Gospel choir. We had been engaged to play at a
funeral.  The deceased was a very decent young guy who had been a pal of  mine, who
had died of cancer at the age of 23 years.
3 familiar tunes... a 40 piece choir and 6 instrumentalists..
I though I won't get my full kit out, I'll just need a couple of
diatonics... We are only doing just 3 tunes. We had agreed the keys before  hand.
Guess what happened? The keyboard player started the first hymn, where I'd
practised a particularly beautiful solo. ... in the key of "B" instead of "F"
He  had accidentally pressed the "Transpose" button... Ok I can play
chromatically  on a chromatic... But  I can't do a "Howard Levy" on a diatonic. I have
not  mastered that position, never had needed to.  I mostly play diatonics  in
2nd position. Sometimes 3rd, rarely 4th.... I simply had to stop  playing. I
was devastated.
MOTTO:
Be prepared for surprises.
THAT was embarrassing!