Re: [Harp-L] In ear monitor choices?

B Boggs wrote:
> Does any one know which in-ear monitor system is effective as a
> monitor and has discreet and effective earpieces? I am interested
> in protecting my hearing and getting a better reference of my sound.

I guest occasionally with a band in which everyone uses in ear
monitors.  They have a Shure system with all the receivers mounted in
a rack with a mixer.  Each player controls their own mix.  I used it
with them a couple of times, and it enables you to place yourself in
the mix where you can always hear what you want.

It does take some getting used to, as each person tends to become a
little "island" of their own sound, so band dynamics have to adjust
and adapt to remain interactive.  They use a stage microphone so they
can call the tunes for the band without announcing it to the
audience.  You also have to either really trust your sound man or you
have to take extra care to be aware of what the audience is hearing.

I think one of the keys to good in-ear sound is to have custom-fitted
earbuds.  The stock earbuds are okay, but lack a lot of bass response
and don't seal well against the stage sound.  A set of custom-fitted
buds is expensive, but when they snap in the sound *sings*.

-tim