[Harp-L] Primich

Gary was the first serious harp player I ever saw live, that fronted the band ("92 or so). Gary Primich and the Midnight Creepers. On a stage at a street festival. Absolutely blew me away. (I wanna do dat syndrome). Fast forward to a few months ago and I sat in on a 3 day seminar with Gary and Tom Ball and Rob Roy Parnell. I remember Gary walked in with this rather large briefcase and when he opened it I couldn't help but notice how unorganized it was. Harps of all kinds just laying loose everywhere, mics, cords entangled in everything, Cds, a baloney sandwich (just kidding). Somehow tho, it just added to the mystique of a cat that I knew was the real deal.I'm still practicing a killer scale that he showed me.
----- Original Message ----- From: "steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <swebb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp List" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "John F. Sweeney" <valcoguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Gary Primich

I finally had a chance to watch and listen to the David Barrett interview with Gary Primich. That's really something all harp players should be required to check out.
If my so-called memory serves me right, Primich was one of the first real harp players I ever saw in person. Joe Filisko had organized one of his first 'teach-ins' at Buckeye in, I believe, 1999, and the little circle of would-be players I was in had the honor of Primich sitting down with us at the beginning. I was not far enough along in my understanding of the instrument to fully appreciate what he was showing us, but it seemed like he was in the same mode as so many great players. He could show you much better than he could explain.
Man, the music business is hard on people.
I'm glad I didn't have any talent, else I would have been out there and long gone by now.
Steve Webb
a fool for the harp in Minnesota