[Harp-L] Re: check this guy out & a jam gone right

These two posts combine to remind me of a great night about 5 years ago in London, England at a place called -Nothing But the Blues Bar (that's where the fabulous Wes Weston youtube video was taped).

I was visiting the UK with my family and had spent a week in Scotland, then drove to York,?enjoying the sites and having a great?time. Before leaving from the states I had done some internet searching for harp blues jam opportunities and had found Nothing But the Blues. I brought harps and mic with me on the plane (not one problem with security, by the way) and planned to visit the Monday night jam.?

However, our train ride from York to London was delayed by heat and we were in a sweat the entire way to London. We checked into our hotel late, and we were exhausted. I grabbed my harps and mic and jumped on the Underground to the station near the bar, made it to the station, got out and walked to the back street it is located on. The place was so packed that a bouncer in a suit and sunglasses stood at the door only letting people in when an equal number of people went out. I pleaded with hime to let me in ("I'm on holiday from the US and came to play harp, please let me in"). Well, that didn't impress him at all. I eventually got in @ 11:30pm, met the jam leader, and told him my story. Well, my luck changed - *he* said, "great!, I'll get you up right away!"

I barely managed to get a beer before I was called up to play with a surprisingly tight band. I started slow, laying back, then got the 'take your solo' nod.... I played some of my better stuff and got the 'OK, this guy can PLAY' look that every jammer craves. A super night.

Sorry to go on, but when I watched the youtube clip and saw where it was?taped, I was sent back in time.??

Weston (and his backing band) cooks in that clip.

I recommend the Nothing But the Blues Bar in London if you get the chance.

Andy Vincent